[uClibc]Problems with uClibc 0.9.11 on powerpc

Bodo Bauer bb at bb-zone.com
Sat Apr 13 02:14:21 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 17:54, David Schleef wrote:
    > > Also, what kernel versoin are you running?
    >
    >     bb at pmacg4:~ [505]
    >     > uname -a
    >     Linux pmacg4 2.4.2 #1 Mon Mar 12 12:22:18 GMT 2001 ppc unknown
    >
    > This is a vanilla SuSE 7.1 PPC kernel.

    I don't have a 2.4.2 kernel around, but I think there was a problem
    with it not properly aligning the stack.  If there was such a problem,
    it has been fixed in recent kernels.  Also, the PowerPC ABI requires
    that the kernel start a user-space process with an aligned stack
    pointer, so I didn't bother to implement fixing the stack in ld.so.
    (It was a lot more complicated than "sp &= ~0xf".)

I just did a quick test and NFS mounted my build directory to the target
system (good thing it is a router, so it has NICs :) and tried to run
arg_test over NFS with a running 2.4.17 kernel. It worked! No segfaults,
no alignment warning just a clean run. Seems like it is the 2.4.2 kernel
creating the aligment problem. I'll see if I can upgrade the build
machine to run lokal tests. But in any case, I feel a lot more confident
now to build a boot image. This is what this is all about anyway.

Thank you so much for your help, and thanks to everyone who made uClibc
possible in the first place.

BB
--
This revolution is eternal