[uClibc]Does this list get spammed often?

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Sep 26 18:46:35 UTC 2001

On Wed Sep 26, 2001 at 02:35:48PM -0000, DSL is dead!  (and so is the last of
the Brunnen G!) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just signed up for the uClibc mailing list today, and the first mail i got
> from it was "credit card processing systems" spam.
>
> Does this list receive a lot of spam?  Is it inherent in the anybody-may-mail
> list design, or does lineo sell the list addresses to spammers?  This isn't
> rhetorical - i'm genuinely asking.

I highly doubt it.  I no longer work there so I can't be
certain, but if they did I've be quite upset.  Normally, spammers
like using mailing lists to do their dirty work...

I didn't see the spam in question.  I set up uclibc.org to
tag all questionable emails with a "X-RBL-Warning" header.  Then
I have procmail set up so like this on my own system:

    :0:
    * ^X-RBL-Warning
    * !^FROM.*<email address in my white list>.*
    * !^FROM.*<other email address in my white list>.*
    spam

So I never see such junk.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee at debian.org, formerly of Lineo