[uClibc]uClibc and termcap

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Oct 23 16:45:19 UTC 2001

On Tue Oct 23, 2001 at 12:11:26PM +0200, Mark Wormgoor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a bootdisk using busybox and uClibc.  On this disk, I have an
> install-program, that is statically linked (against libc, libslang and
> libnewt).  It is statically linked, because I had problems compiling
> libnewt agains uClibc.  And the size of stripped install+libnewt+libslang
> is about the same size as the stripped static binary.

I have a system I am working on that uses uClibc + slang + newt
and it all works just fine (I use dynamic libs for all of them,
but static linking works too).

> When I run this program on my regular machine, the colors look great.
> When I run it from the bootdisks, I only get certain colors and the
> terminal emulation doesn't appear as it should.

Works fine for me...

> However, I haven't got a clue where to look.  I have a /etc/termcap that
> contains an entry for a linux-terminal (that I want to use).  When I run a
> shell on the bootdisk, the terminaltype is (correctly) set to linux.
> -) Is the problem in uClibc or busybox ?

Neither.  Add in terminfo files, not termcap stuff.  Add in a
/usr/share/terminfo/l directory with the "linux" termcap entry
in it and things should work better...

> -) Should I link the install program staticall against uClibc instead of
>    libc (don't know how this could make a difference, but still...)

Shouldn't make much difference -- depends on your needs,