[uClibc]compiling uClibc for m68knommu fails

David McCullough davidm at snapgear.com
Wed Nov 14 06:55:13 UTC 2001

Jivin Khaled Hassounah lays it down ...
> Searching through the archives, I found a post from someone facing the same problem I'm facing, but no one replied to him.
>
> I'm trying to compile the uClibc for the m68000 arch (specifically 68ez328). So I checked out uClibc, copied the right configuration file, uncommented CROSS (to resolve to m68k-elf), corrected the KERNEL_SOURCE to point to my the kernel (which has been successfully compiled), and added the -m68000 to ARCH_CFLAGS (I wasn't sure if I should add it to ARCH_CFLAGSs or not, but it doesn't help either way).
>
> Now, when I try to compile, I get all sorts of errors. Fixing my way through, I did the following:
> 1) Added typedefs for __socklen_t, __useconds_t, _suseconds_t, __clockid_t and __timer_t to ./libc/sysdeps/linux/m68k/bits/types.h
> 2) I replaced the file ./libc/sysdeps/linux/m68k/bits/posix_opt.h with the one from the i386 branch (this sounds crazy, but read below and you'll understand)
> 3) I added the file netdb.h from the i386 to ./libc/sysdeps/linux/m68k/bits

As I understand it the m68k headers for uClibc are out of date.

> What I was doing actually, was trying to fix the problems by making the m68k branch similar to the other branches. The files in the other branches seem to have been updated with those changes done to them (among other changes that didn't affect my compilation) while the m68k branch remained the same. Even the LGPL and GPL problem that was being discussed on uClinux has been fixed in the other branches but not m68k.
>
> My theory, which could be very simply mistaken, is that the m68k support is not working, or that I came in a middle of a major rework. But I'm thinking that many people are using the uClibc for 68ez328-based systems and no one (except the lonely guy on 10/3) is complaining.
>
> I still haven't been able to compile uClibc successfully, as my changes are conflicting with code that is compiled later in the process. Is there something I didn't get? code missing? different procedure? anything?

No one is using the current (latest from CVS) uClibc on m68k because it's
broken ;-)  The changes you are making sound like they are on the right
track and I'm sure Erik would welcome the patches ;-)

If you want to get an older snapshot,  there is an archibe of what I used
to build the m68k-elf-tools at:

http://www.uclinux.org/pub/uClinux/m68k-elf-tools/tools-20010716/uClibc.tar.gz

which will work fine for m68k,  it's just a little older than whats in CVS,

Cheers,
Davidm

davidm at snapgear.com  Fx: +61 7 3891 3630  825 Stanley St., W'gabba QLD 4102, Oz