[uClibc]Recompiling libraries....

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue May 29 17:18:45 UTC 2001

On Tue May 29, 2001 at 11:36:26AM -0400, Tom Cameron wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	Now that uClibc has had some time to percolate, I would like to
> re-ask my question.  "What is the recommended strategy for compiling a
> library vs. uClibc?"  For instance, suppose I wanted to compile OpenSSH vs.
> uClibc...how would I go about hacking the make files, etc for all of the
> libraries that it depends on?  I fully understand that each package is
> different, but there must be a "general" rule of thumb, or rather set of
> rules of thumbs...right?  Anyway, just a topic for discussion.  Thanks all!

So far, what I do is simply set:
    $ export PATH=/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/bin:$PATH
    $ cd libfoo
    $ ./configure --foo --bar
    $ make

Actually, I'm lying a little but.  To be perfectly truthful, I just set the
PATH, cd to libfoo-version, and then run 'dpkg-buildpackage', and then I run
'dpkg-deb -x libfoo.deb /usr/i386-linux-uclibc' to install things.  I've got
most of the Debian base system build and installed under /usr/i386-linux-uclibc
on my laptop...

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com