[uClibc]gcc-uclibc use_build_dir/use_rpath

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue May 29 16:13:50 UTC 2001

On Sun May 27, 2001 at 06:49:25PM -0600, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> Andreas and Erik,
>
> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 12:25:54AM +0100, Andreas Neuhaus wrote:
> > hi everybody,
> >
> > i saw the latest path where gcc-uclibc uses the build dir when called as
> > *build*. i also noticed that various parts of uClibc are itself compiled
> > using gcc-uclibc. shouldn't those parts also use the build dir for
> > libraries/includes to make sure that the right headers are included (patch
> > below)?
>
> I think you're right that it should use the "build" behavior to use the
> build dir's include files.  (I don't think the libs are an issue though.)
> I think it would be better though to set the UCLIBC_GCC environment variable
> to "build" rather than patch all the different Makefiles.  Erik, what do
> you think?

We must have the lib build process be self contained.  Letting installed
header files (or libs) leak through into the library build process is
a bad idea.  There are not too many places that use gcc-uclibc, so perhaps
the best thing is to create a --build-dir-only type of config option so
that we can ensure things are self-contained.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com