[uClibc]Powerpc uclibc

Michael Shmulevich michaels at jungo.com
Wed May 9 09:52:39 UTC 2001

> Could you give me some additional information, such as compiler
> version, kernel version, glibc version (maybe...)?

Well, I use kernel 2.2.14 compiled with gcc 2.95.2 (based on glibc
2.1.3). The system is a MPC850-based box.

> It runs fine on my test machine, which is running Debian unstable, Linux-2.4.4-pre1,
> gcc-2.95, and glibc-2.2.2.

Maybe newer kernel stuff fixed the argument passing and other stuff?

>  In particular, the "args" test is
> sensitive to problems with crt0.  It may be possible that the
> method doesn't work for 2.2, since I haven't tested it.

I grabbed the glibc's start.S from powerpc stuff and it worked for me.
Maybe indeed you used something that is strictly fit to 2.4 arguments
passing? Although I really doubt that, since this is something fixed.

 From my limited MIPS experience, there is a well-defined interface for
PowerPC binaries from OS side. Like, where arguments are passed and how
to get GOT entries fro PIC code.

There are however several more serious problems, that I wonder how they
work for your PPC machine:

- mmap: realised through stack arguments passing, a problem which I have
asked earlier. This doesn't work on 2.2 at all -- neither for MIPS nor
for PPC. I had to use _syscal#() macros for them, in MIPS case it was
_syscall6() and for PPC it was _syscall0() (!!!) since this is how it
was in glibc.

- ioctl: struct termios definitions goes in direct contradiction with
kerbel definitions: too many fields, wrong sizes, incorrect ioctl()
parameters. It  was seen when bbox's shell tried to ask isatty(0), which
returned 0. I had to rewrite the struct in bits/ioctls.h to represent
kernel's one.

So, David, I giess you have luck to work with 2.4 otherwise you'd pe
passing through the same hell I am passing right now.

By the way, any news about powerpc's version of ld.so for uCLibc?

--
Sincerely yours,
Michael Shmulevich
email: michaels at jungo.com
web: http://www.jungo.com
Phone: 1-877-514-0537(USA)  +972-9-8859365(Worldwide) ext. 233
Fax:   1-877-514-0538(USA)  +972-9-8859366(Worldwide)