[uClibc]e2fsbox

Alex King alex at milton.king.net.nz
Wed Mar 7 10:34:30 UTC 2001

Consider me to be taking an interest, however, don't rely on me for
anything.  I'm just a newbie.

Procedure: (ignore Manuel's howto - just be super optimistic -
everything will work :)

cd uClibc
cvs up
edit Config to enable HAS_FLOATS, HAS_LONG_LONG, malloc-930716
make
make install
cd ..
wget e2fsprogs-1.19
tar xzvf ....
cd e2fsprogs
CC=gcc-uclibc-i386 ./configure --enable-elf-shlibs
make

actually, it got thru to:

gcc-uClibc-i386  -o badblocks badblocks.o ../lib/libext2fs.a
../lib/libcom_err.a
badblocks.o: In function `test_nd':
/home/alex/e2fsbox/e2fsprogs-1.19/build/misc/../../misc/badblocks.c:449:
undefined reference to `random'

I guess there is no random(3) in uclibc?

Also, it made shared libs OK, (libext2fs.so and friends) but the
shared libs were all linked against libc6 :(

Also, it built mke2fs (from memory, I've nuked the directory) but it
was linked against uclibc _and_ libc6 (and ld-linux.so.1 and
ld-linux.so.2 :)  I guess it's a bit much to expect gcc-uclibc-i386 to
work compiling shared libs

When you built 1.18, did you build libext2fs.so and friends, and if so
did they link against uclibc?

I haven't tried applying you patch yet, but my guess is that most of
this kind of stuff:

>int main (int argc, char *argv[])
>+ __attribute__ ((__weak__,__alias__("e2fsck_main")));
>+
>+int e2fsck_main (int argc, char *argv[])

is to get the prorams to play together in a single executable, rather
than a change needed for uclibc per se?

I would like to get the standard e2fsprogs to compile first, before I
decide if I want a multicall binary.  Ideally with uclibc linked
libext2.so and friends.  But really I have little clue about how to do
this.

I might try applying the patch now and go thru and do what you did.
Thanks for the quick response.

Alex