[uClibc]odd output on ppc

Justin (Gus) Hurwitz ghurwitz at dyndns.com
Mon Jun 25 12:31:52 UTC 2001

I've recently cross compiled uclibc to our ppc (603e) based embedded
board. The compile went smoothly (once I figured out that shared library
support was incomplete and built static libs instead). I was able to
seamlessly compile busybox as well. I was very excited.

But... Then I started trying to run busybox on our board. It runs well-
but all output is screwed up. For instance, just typing busybox gives me a
while bunch of "u"s (ie, "uuuuuuuuuuuuuu" for 80+ chars (the width of the
terminal)). Typing "busybox echo -n 1111" gives a mostly printable string-
",.yyA.?"- except the "y"s have umlats over them (double dots). But,
typing "busybox mount -t proc proc /proc" mounts proc as it should.

At first I thought the problem was with busybox. Then I tried to compile
and run the test programs for uclibc. Lo! the problem is with uclibc.

Running the "hello" program prints a bunch of garbage instead of "hello
world". Compiling uclibc for my native architecture produces working
libraries. I do know, however, that my cross compiler is working (I use it
for kernel development, and have produced a working glibc with it (too
damn big thogh, glibc).

Does anyone know what the problem here is? uclibc looks like a great
solution for my board, and I'd love to use it. But if I can't... well,
then I can't, and I'll probably go back to glibc once I get the ethernet
driver on the board working.

Thanks,
--Gus

PS- please reply via email- I'm not subscribed to the list.