[uClibc]RE : LEGAL: LGPL vs. proprietary.

Matt Bosworth m_bosworth at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 16:34:46 UTC 2001

Tom --

   IANAL. . .but, as I understand it, that is the difference between
GPL and LGPL -- LGPL allows for linking to closed source code. I'm
not sure about static vs. dynamic linking, though.
  In any case, the links you want are :

http://www.fsf.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/licenses.html#TOCLGPL

The first is a little blurb by RMS.  Here's a quote :

>SNIP<
The GNU Project has two principal licenses to use for libraries. One is
the GNU Library GPL; the other is the ordinary GNU GPL. The choice of
license makes a big difference: using the Library GPL permits use of
the library in proprietary programs; using the ordinary GPL for a
library makes it available only for free programs.
>SNIP<

--Matt