[uClibc](no subject)

mnovoa3 at bellsouth.net mnovoa3 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 2 18:35:31 UTC 2001

Erik,

Just wanted to give you an update on what I've been working
on.  I'll be back home late Wednesday, but I won't be able
to post patches until Thursday night or (more likely)
Friday.

1) Replace qsort.c with a public domain shell sort from
   snippets.org.  The old quicksort routine was limited,
   and had some (bad) assumptions.  The new version is also
   a lot smaller... around 180 bytes vs over 1k.

2) All of the Makefiles didn't seem to rebuild the COBJS
   files when source changed, so I fixed them.

3) Making use of weak symbols, I was able to automatically
   do stdio_init from _start.  If no stdio is used, none is
   linked.  I also similarly handled init_libc(?) in _start.

4) The onexit behavior didn't seem to match glibc.
   I removed it for now and used some more weak symbols
   to omit atexit support if not needed.

5) It looks like gnu malloc and dl-malloc that came with
   libc-5.3.12 are both smaller than the uClibc's malloc
   even after I cut its size by almost 2k.
   They only needed sbrk implemented, so I did that for
   i386.  It shouldn't be bad to implement in a general
   way in sysdeps/linux/common and its something I'll look
   at soon.

6) Misc odds and ends.

When I get back home I'll grab any changes from cvs and
submit several independent patches so you can check them
more easily.

Manuel