[uClibc]trouble with dynamic libuClibc.so

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Wed Feb 28 04:23:57 UTC 2001

On Sat Feb 24, 2001 at 04:55:44PM -0500, Antonio Musumeci wrote:
> I attempted to make a uClibc/busybox bootdisk with busybox dynamically
> linked. However when I attempt to use busybox it doesnt work. At all. No
> missing library error or anything. The shell just complains that the
> program does not exist. When I compile busybox on glibc and put
> libc.so.6 and ld-linux.so in /lib it works fine. Any ideas?

I appologize for letting several days slip by before I had a chance to
investigate this.  So this evening, after I put my kids to sleep I took a few
minutes to look into this.   I made  boot floppy with just /dev, a few /etc
entries, busybox dynamically linked vs uClibc, and /lib with shared uClibc in
it.  And just as you reported, it didn't work

After investigating a bit, I noticed that 'ldd ./busybox' showed that it was
only linked with uClibc, not with the shared lib loader, so there was no way it
could have worked.

I just patched up gcc-uClibc and now when we link with the shared uClibc, we
also now link with the correct shared lib loader.  I recompiled busybox with
the updated compiler, dropped busybox onto the boot floppy I made, and it
booted and run just fine.  :-)

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com