[uClibc]netkit-tiny

Gennady Feldman gena01 at cachier.com
Mon Feb 26 19:19:56 UTC 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Erik Andersen wrote:
[clipped]
> The reason for requiring root is not simple arbitraryness.  It is because
> unless you are root, you cannot open a raw socket and sent out icmp packets.
>
> I invite you to come up with a solution (hint, you won't find one).  I recommend
> Richard Stevens "UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1, Second Edition".  While
> you won't be able to find a way to do a non-root ping, time reading Stevens is
> never time wasted.
>
>  -Erik
[clipped]

 Hmm... maybe I didn't explain what I mean. I know about raw sockets and
ICMP packets. I was just saying why we can't duplicate regular
functionality found in a regular ping found on standard Linux box? Yes, we
need +s to be able to get any use out of ping, but we should not restrict
it to only root user.

G.F.