[uClibc]RE: [BusyBox] Errors Compiling BusyBox: Update

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Feb 19 01:36:49 UTC 2001

On Mon Feb 19, 2001 at 10:58:37AM +1100, AVENARD,JEAN-YVES (HP-Australia,ex2) wrote:

> I understand that having some sort of standard in the call of main in crt0.S
> would be useful.
>
> But do we have to change it all the times. In the past 10 days, I had to
> rewrite twice crt0.S, and will have to do it again if you change the way
> main is called.
> Sure it's fun to write ML code, but I now see that just as a waste of time.

Sorry about the pain -- you joined the effort right in the middle of a
transition.   Previously, we started, foolishly in hindsight, adding
some libc initialization code into crt0.S, then we realised that this
was not going to scale well.  I sure don't have time to fix up each arch's
asm code everytime some random subsystem needs to be initialized).  So we
decided to take a bit of pain now to save ourselves a lot of pain later.

I do not anticipate any futher changes to crt0.S -- ever!  The current
structure will allow all future initialization code to be done in C.
So the changes needed for crt0.S (I'm going to fix up arm this evening)
are going to be the last changes ever needed.

Sorry for the growing pains.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com