[uClibc]cvs commit to uClibc/extra/gcc-uClibc by andersen

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Apr 24 13:57:28 UTC 2001

On Tue Apr 24, 2001 at 11:08:16AM +0300, Michael Shmulevich wrote:
> Erik,
>
> > Make sure that we list the shared lib loader as a required lib
> > by explicitly linking against it.  That way 'ldd' tells us what
> > we need to know.
>
> Going back to discussion with Manuel, I think you must not use dynamic
> linker as an explicit target for gcc. You must however, add ld.so to
> dependencies of uClibc.
>
> Reason for that:
>
> During cross compilation the linker must NOT lie in the place specified
> with --dynamic-linker, since gcc doesn't check if the file exist at all.
> You must only take care of putting the file there on a target. Clearly
> if you specify the linker on command line, you must put it on target
> wherever it was compiled before.

I have not yet tried cross compiling with the new ld.so (since I havn't gotten
an ARM port working yet).  The reason I added an explicit reference to ld.so as
part of the compilation process is so that when you run 'ldd <foo>' it will let
you know the name of the required shared lib loader.  Otherwise the dependancy
is not apparent and ld will get forgotten.

I'll test how things work when cross compiling as soon as I get ld ported
to a target I can easily test for cross compiling (i.e. ARM).

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com