[uClibc]cvs commit to uClibc/ld.so by andersen

Manuel Novoa III mnovoa3 at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 16 23:08:01 UTC 2001

Erik,

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Mon Apr 16, 2001 at 04:48:13PM -0500, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> > Maybe I wasn't clear in my emails earlier.  I have a patched version of
> > ld.so-1.9.11 which generates two dynamic linkers ld-linux-<arch>-uclibc.so.1;
> > one looks in /lib and /usr/lib as usual (intended for a glibc-less system) and
> > one which looks in /usr/<arch>-linux-uclibc/lib only (intended for a
> > development system).  The later also looks for the ld.so.cache file in
> > /usr/<arch>-linux-uclibc/etc and I've built the appropriate versions of
> > ldconfig, ldd, etc.  The idea is that you put the second version in /lib on the
> > devel system, and it works (assuming same arch of course).  You put the first
> > version in /lib on the target system.  Since the paths of the shared libs
> > aren't included in the compiled bins, the shared lib dependencies are resolved
> > correctly in both cases.  I've successfully used this even with libdl.so.  I
> > was just waiting for your input about directory locations.  Oh yes, of course
> > you need to set DYNAMIC_LINKER appropriately when you build the gcc wrapper.
>
> Ok.  Cool.  Mind checking it in then?

I need to clean it up first, but sure.

Question:  Since the changes are really pretty minor, do you want to have our
own version in the tree, or maybe just put a patch in the extra directory with
a README?

> Still, longer term, we do need something more like what is in glibc.
> This will provide us with dlopen() and friends (which are needed for

I _have_ dlopen and friends working with these changes.

> iptables, for example), and also hopefully will allow us to run on
> any platform, not just i386, m68k, and sparc (which is what
> ld.so 1.9.11 is limited to).

Granted the other archs need supporting.  The question there is: is it easier
to port 1.9.11 to other archs, or port the newer dynamic loader?

Manuel