[uClibc]BusyBox now compiles and runs with uC-Libc

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Oct 31 00:27:52 UTC 2000

Several items of news:

First:
    uclibc.org is moving today and will be getting a different IP
    address.  So if you don't see it for a little while this eveing,
    thats way.

Second:
    I just fixed the uclibc cvs commit notifications, which I accidentally
    broke back in September.  Oops.  Sorry about that.

Third:
    BusyBox now compiles and runs with uC-Libc!!!

    For the last several months I have been enhancing uC-Libc.  This started
    with from an x86 port done quickly by D. Jeff Dionne.  I took that as a
    starting point and then grafted in GNU libc header files, removed nearly
    all kernel header file dependancies, fixed up lots of bugs (and hopefully
    didn't introduce too many new ones), rewrote all the makefiles, built a
    foundation for adding multi platform support.  As a proof of concept, I
    have done a quick port to arm, and it at least links before crashing (I
    think I screwed up arm's _start.S but I can't be sure till I recompile gdb
    again so it works -- recompile in progress....).  Anyways, as of now,
    busybox seems to be working compiled vs uC-Libc on x86 (turn off BB_GETOPT
    and BB_FEATURE_NFSMOUNT in Config.h since those don't work yet).  I'll
    probably have arm working by tonight.

    [andersen at slag busybox]$ ls -sh ./busybox
    328k ./busybox*
    [andersen at slag busybox]$ ldd ./busybox
	    statically linked (ELF)
    [andersen at slag busybox]$ ./busybox sh

    BusyBox v0.48pre (2000.10.31-00:14+0000) Built-in shell
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

    /home/andersen/CVS/busybox # pwd
    /home/andersen/CVS/busybox
    /home/andersen/CVS/busybox # echo "It works!"
    It works!

Note that uclibc is only adding in 72k when including _everything_
in busybox.  Not too bad I think...

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com