[uClibc]about: select.o _clone.o

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Jul 31 18:37:36 UTC 2000

On Mon Jul 31, 2000 at 09:21:06PM +0800, mr mao wrote:
> Hi,all,
>      I'm  trying to port something to  uClibc,When  I make
> select.o _clone.o under uC-libc/sysdeps/linux/i386/,it tell
> me has asm  instructs error.
>      I think these file maybe unformed.Can anyone give me
> a patch.

The error you see is due to the origins of uC-Libc.  uCLinux runs on systems
lacking an MMU, and so they do not have a fork() syscall at all -- only
vfork().  I have ported uCLibc to x86, and I've cleaned up a lot of things (for
example, malloc and friends all now work), but I have not yet gotten around to
fixing fork.  It is definately on my todo list (several important apps in
busybox use fork, for example, init.c, sh.c, and syslogd.c).

If someone has an hour to kill and wants to start getting their hands dirty
working on uC-Libc, fixing fork for x86 would be an excellent place to start.

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com