Nuke

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 3 16:18:59 UTC 2021

On 1/3/21 10:31 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> It's 2.9 kb only when busybox with no applets compared to
> busybox with this one applet.
>
> In this case, it's 2.9 kb because
> it pulls in printf machinery (for error reporting in deletions).
>
> If this looks like a wrong metric to you,
> well, there is no obvious "correct" metric for this.
>
> If you have other applets selected, like "rm", "nuke" adds
> ~60 bytes of code.

Thanks for the insight! I should have realized it was sharing
infrastructure with other applets, therefore had lower cost.

> I switched its default to "N".

This seems very reasonable to me, thanks. It's one thing to have the
option to build it for compatibility with other toolsets, and another
thing to enable it by default when it has surprising behavior that isn't
easily reversible. Now everyone will be happy -- those who want it, have
it, and those who don't want it, won't be surprised to find it.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User