udhcpc allows short lease to expire then attempts renew

Paul Larkin sinbad_4273 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 13:28:28 UTC 2021

Hello,
The 2 lines below pretend that the lease is 122s when it is in fact shorter. The udhcp_run_script() informs the client of the actual lease time not the make believe one.

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/networking/udhcp/dhcpc.c#n1749
A modem that gives out a temporary IP address with a 60s lease time to dd-wrt will see the lease time reach zero. Busybox udhcp.c will only attempt to renew after half the 122s make believe lease time (61s) which is after the actual lease time (60s) has already expired.
I know nothing about DHCP but google tells me: "The client must renew its IP configuration data before the lease period expires."
Investigating difficulties between a modem and dd-wrt led me to those two lines.
Thanks.