git smart http for busybox repo

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Fri May 15 22:11:36 UTC 2020

 > On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 16:43, Yannik Sembritzki <yannik at sembritzki.me> wrote:
 >>
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> currently, the busybox git server is only providing "dumb http"
 >> functionality.
 >> This is, for example, demonstrated when trying to make shallow clone:
 >>
 >> $ git clone --depth=1 https://git.busybox.net/busybox/
 >> Cloning into 'busybox'...
 >> fatal: dumb http transport does not support shallow capabilities

 > please retry.

Hmm, did something change afterwards? I just got a report about issues
accessing the Buildroot repo over https, and it indeed doesn't seem to
work:

git clone https://git.busybox.net/busybox/
Cloning into 'busybox'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://git.busybox.net/busybox/': The requested URL returned error: 403

Running that with GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 I see the 403 comes from here:

GET /busybox/info/refs?service=git-upload-pack HTTP/1.1
Host: git.busybox.net
Pragma: no-cache

< HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden