Whats the deal with nologin being a shell script

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 26 19:55:08 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:13 AM Norbert Lange <nolange79 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Seeing that this is pretty much the only embedded-script applet
> (pulling in that feature and requiring a few other applets), with the
> recent commits getting it to work in single-app mode, I am curious to
> why?

Every applet should be functional even if selected individually
(i.e. if binary would implement just that one function).

This was not previously tested, and a number of applets
either did not build with such "single-applet" .config,
or were forcing selection of other applets.

NOLOGIN was the only applet which was still broken in that regard.
Now it's fixed.

Granted, having a binary which implements entire shell just in order
to execute a trivial internal shell script is silly. But it should work
(should not be left in broken state).