Whats the deal with nologin being a shell script

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 26 15:22:15 UTC 2020

On 6/26/20 3:26 AM, Norbert Lange wrote:
> Am Fr., 26. Juni 2020 um 03:45 Uhr schrieb Eli Schwartz
> <eschwartz at archlinux.org>:
>> If you do not have any other nologin shell, and you would like to use
>> one powered in some manner by busybox, then you could probably use the
>> "false" applet, with the caveat that it doesn't print a cute message
>> "This account is currently not available."
>
> Sure, having a dropin-replacement for coreutils is nice still.
> (symlinking to /bin/false wont work, if that's itself a symlink to busybox)

I was thinking you could define the user accounts to use /bin/false as
the shell.

Not suggesting to symlink it as nologin in order to make /sbin/nologin
work as a disabled login shell.

By directly using /bin/false, busybox would still dispatch it to the
right applet.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User