Sime makelike wrapper scripts support

Laurent Bercot ska-dietlibc at skarnet.org
Mon Jan 13 19:07:37 UTC 2020

  Hey folks,

  I just had an idea today while crossing the street (please don't do
this,
it's dangerous, you may be hit by a car. It almost happened to me. It's
a good thing that I don't often have ideas!)

  I thought that I've always needed a small applet that takes user input
from different clients and tallies the votes after a timeout. And I
figured that everyone could benefit from it!

  Let's call it, for instance, "bikeshed", and let's say that users want
vote on the colour of the bikeshed. Every participating user could do
something like:

$ bikeshed pink
or
$ bikeshed green
or
$ bikeshed "blue with yellow stripes"

  and after some time, when several users have done that, you could call

$ bikeshed results
The majority of users voted for: sickly green with traces of blood!

  The concept is very simple, and the implementation could be very simple
too, it just needs to fork a small server (bikeshedd) that listens to a
Unix socket. See, I've thought about it!

  But I don't have the time or skills to work on an implementation, so
I really cannot write myself. And can you imagine the amount of effort
needed if I had to maintain it as a separate project? Even if it was a
simple shell script, I would need to copy it on every machine where I
need to use it! That's way too time-consuming.

  So it would be *totally awesome* if you could write a "bikeshed" applet
for me, and add it to busybox. That way, everyone who needs it would be
able to benefit from it automatically!

  Thanks a lot,

--
  Laurent