git smart http for busybox repo

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 13 15:31:45 UTC 2020

On 4/13/20 11:04 AM, wdlkmpx wrote:
> busybox should be moved to github or gitlab, that's really smart http
>
> But tracker + git repo + releases + pull requests. As complete as it gets.
>
> No need to send patches through email, even people who don't have git
> installed can use the web site to edit files and open pull requests.
>
> It's just too smart.

Your *attempt* at punnish wordplay is offtopic and factually incorrect
to boot. I find it severely troubling that you would propose to mock and
laugh away a very simple infrastructure request with the purposes of:

- silently enhanced security
- silently enhanced clone speed
- absolutely zero other changes visible to anyone anywhere, on any level

by attempting to demonize the request as an attack from people demanding
a workflow change from mailing lists and git to "mandatory github
webflow omg so smart".

You seem to have invented your definition of "smart" from whole cloth;
no one ever suggested that github's web interface and collection of
features are "smart", though many (NOT the person who started this
thread, though) have suggested it is "shiny" or "integrated".

And it has absolutely nothing to do with using newer, more efficient
revisions of the git client/server clone protocol.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User