Online resizing of partitions

Marcus Hoffmann bubu at bubu1.eu
Mon Oct 7 14:36:26 UTC 2019

Hello,

I was wondering if there's a way to enlarge a mounted disk partition
with busybox tools only.

I found a relatively straightforward way with (s)fdisk and partx or
resizepart from util-linux. Using fdisk from busybox is probably a bit
more fiddly but should be possible.

I haven't found a replacement for partx/resizepart though which tells
the kernel the new partition size.

Resizepart basically only wraps BLKPG_RESIZE_PARTITION ioctl, so it's
easy to write a small tool myself, but I wondered if this is ossible
with on-board tools from busybox or if you'd consider adding some
version of partx or resizepart to busybox.

Best,
Marcus