incorrect -a flag in busybox tar (creation mode)?

David Demelier markand at malikania.fr
Wed Jul 24 07:33:34 UTC 2019

Le 24/07/2019 à 09:22, David Demelier a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I've discovered that busybox tar -a flag acts differently than both
> bsdtar and GNU tar. If the archive ends with extension .txz it creates a
> LZMA file rather than xz.

I've realized that -a in busybox tar is not for auto-compress like
GNU/bsdtar even though busybox's tar is based on libarchive (like bsdtar).

Since busybox tar performs auto-detection when reading/extracting, is
there a chance that we change '-a' to perform like bsdtar/GNU tar for
convenience even in creation mode?

Regards,

--
David