1.30.1 [ntpd] - not able to query

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 3 09:55:07 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 3:20 PM <vtolkm at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 02/07/2019 15:07, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> >> Or won't fix and the ntpd implementation in busybox is not suited to act
> >> as server?
> >
> > It does act as server - you can query time from it and syncronize with it.
> > Support of mode6 requests is not mandatory for server implementation.
>
> I am afraid that is rather questionable considering that none of the
> querying tools (below) imply that queries are actually being served.
> Do you reckon that all those querying apps are reliant on NTPv2 mode 6
> then, none producing an output from ntpd -dddd?
>
> Started thread started because I am concerned that it actually serves
> queries, considering:
>
> # ntpdate localhost
> no server suitable for synchronization found

I see this:

# ntpdate -qv 127.0.0.1
 3 Jul 11:50:04 ntpdate[16422]: ntpdate 4.2.8p13 at 1.3847-o Mon May 20
08:32:18 UTC 2019 (1)
server 127.0.0.1, stratum 2, offset 0.000036, delay 0.02782
 3 Jul 11:50:04 ntpdate[16422]: adjust time server 127.0.0.1 offset 0.000036 sec

IOW: it works.

> # ntpdc -lnps
> localhost: timed out, nothing received
> ***Request timed out

-l  Print a list of the peers
-n  numeric host addresses
-p  Print a list of the peers
-s  Show a list of the peers

All of this amounts to sending mode6 requests. busybox ntpd does not
understand that.

> # ntptime -r
> ntp_gettime() returns code 5 (ERROR)
> ntp_adjtime() returns code 5 (ERROR)

This tool does not even talk to the network. manpage:
"ntptime - read and set kernel time variables"