ash builtin function `read' called without arguments...

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Wed Jan 30 13:01:30 UTC 2019

...sets implicit variable REPLY, even though ASH_BASH_COMPAT is not
set.

That was introduced in 2010-01-12 with commit
045f4ad92c07434625e168bc8c37aa0e89f6e58e.  The comment is still
present in the code:

+               /* $IFS splitting. NOT done if we run "read"
+                * without variable names (bash compat).
+                * Thus, "read" and "read REPLY" are not the same.
+                */

Still, this is a bashism and should be tested with IF_ASH_BASH_COMPAT.

Dash does not support that:

$ read
dash: 1: read: arg count

and The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6 does not document that
behaviour.

Yes, I suspect the "feature" may be already abused.

What do you think?

Cheers,

--
Cristian