bc

Gavin Howard gavin.d.howard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 23:11:13 UTC 2018

Hello,

In March, I wrote
(http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2018-March/086300.html)
asking if there was interest in having my bc
(https://github.com/gavinhoward/bc) in busybox. I got some interest
back then.

Well, it is ready. Do the maintainers still want it?

Sorry, it took so long; I was waiting for an opportunity to push it to
a very high quality before releasing as 1.0. The wait is worth it,
though, because the quality is second to none. I have fuzzed it until
it just won't crash and has absolutely zero memory errors or leaks. I
have run hundreds of thousands of random math tests to make sure it is
correct. You will also be getting a complete dc (besides the "!"
command because that's dangerous) because I added that as well (and
tested it just as well). Also, it does work for the Linux kernel
build.

Note: I am also not sending a patch in this email because it will be
*HUGE*. bc is complex, so it is 46.59 kb by "make bloatcheck". dc is
36.64 kb, and together, they are 56.35 kb. That is smaller than the
GNU bc alone, so I don't think it's too bad, but I admit that it is a
lot.

When I release 1.0 (and I am in the release process right now; I am
going through a thorough bunch of checks including POSIX compliance),
busybox will get the patch, if desired. In fact, I can send a patch
now, so it can be evaluated and possibly be accepted into "make
defconfig" (unless size is a dealbreaker for that) when I *do* release
1.0. I already have the script written to generate the busybox
version, so it will literally be a matter of running the script,
running the test suite (which I have already done, actually), running
git patch, compressing it (like I said, *HUGE*), and sending it.

Thank you for your time.

Gavin Howard