patch to enable text overlay on framebuffer via fbsplash

Richard Moore rich at richud.com
Mon Jan 8 14:58:03 UTC 2018

Hi,

Patch attached to add text overlay support to fbsplash which currently
only supports displaying images.

With the recent kernel inclusion of 'fbtft' (CONFIG_FB_TFT) many small
screen/OLED/TFT/LCD screen driver chips now have native framebuffer
support in the kernel.

These are often used on devices such as Raspberry Pi for simple
feedback/information displaying/signage etc. and it would be useful to
have a simple way to display text as well as just an image.
For example a 0.96" OLED screen attached via SPI, small thermometer
pictures as the background image and then overlaying the current
indoor/outdoor temperature as text.

This patch is the simplest way I could think of to implement, yet still be
usable.
It allows text to be displayed using some simple markup escape codes to
move it around, scale it and colour it. This allows it to be fairly
dynamic in usage not needing separate config files.
(It is based on a patch submitted several years ago my Michele Sanges.)

Regards

Richard Moore