httpd default MIME and 'clean url'.

xisd xisd-dev at riseup.net
Mon Apr 2 18:17:00 UTC 2018

Hello,

I had some trouble using busybox httpd to serve a static website and I
thought the issue might be of interest.

My problem is related to something that seem quite common for static
site generator :  the use of html files without the '.html' extension
(it is called 'clean url'...)

Most web server guess that these files are html and display them like
any other .html files.

>From what I understood, the MIME type for files without extension in
busybox htttp default settings is 'application/octet-stream', and
because of that 'clean url' pages are not displayed.

It is only trouble because I wanted to deploy my website on freshly
installed linux without editing any configuration.

The default MIME setting make sense to me as it is, I just thought that
might be worth mentioning since the use of 'clean url' seem to be a
common practice for static sites generators (the one I use is callled
'yellow' (https://github.com/datenstrom/yellow))

Here is a link for the related issue on github :
https://github.com/datenstrom/yellow/issues/317