BusyBox built-in shell (ash)

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Thu Nov 30 13:33:06 UTC 2017

Am 30.11.2017 um 14:13 schrieb A.W.C.:
> Hello,
>
> Linux embedded file system (Linux v. 2.6.26.5) running on raw NAND flash, and use Full Image's RootFS.
> I need to access to linux shell when Linux kernel is fully loaded
>
> U-Boot> setenv bootargs console=ttyS1,115200n8 rootfstype=squashfs noalign half_image=0 verify=y single init=/bin/sh
>
> BusyBox v1.10.2 (2017-08-02 14:07:25 CST) built-in shell (ash)
> When I access to Busybox emergency shell, Linux kernel is not fully loaded, actual root partition is not mounted yet, the available commands are very limited.
>
> BusyBox v1.10.2 (2015-09-06 10:58:05 CST) built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
> /bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> # help
>
> Built-in commands:
> -------------------
>      . : [ [[ alias bg break cd chdir continue echo eval exec exit
>      export false fg hash help jobs let local pwd read readonly return
>      set shift source test times trap true type ulimit umask unalias
>      unset wait
>
> # fdisk -l
> /bin/sh: fdisk: not found
> #
>
> # mount
> mount: no /proc/mounts
> #
>
> How to get Linux Kernel fully loaded, and MTD-devices mounted, at the same time having access to file system from Busybox emergency shell?

Mount /dev, /proc, /sys and /dev/pts. Alternatively create a few device
nodes. Look at this /etc/rc script to see how to start a working linux
with not much more than busybox:

https://github.com/mschlenker/TinyCrossLinux/blob/master/patches/etc-rc

Yours,
Mattias

> Regards,

Mattias Schlenker - Freier IT-Fachredakteur und -autor
redaktion at mattiasschlenker.de

Mattias Schlenker - IT-Consulting, Softwareentwicklung
consulting at mattiasschlenker.de

August-Bebel-Str. 74 - D-04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY
Phone: +49 341 39290767 - Fax: +49 341 25365955
Mobile (primary): +49 163 6953657
Mobile (secondary): +49 163 1848610
VATIN DE240998538

https://github.com/mschlenker