getty hidden process

Lars Alex Pedersen laa at kamstrup.com
Fri Mar 17 10:24:00 UTC 2017

I'm trying to enable and disable getty using inittab as we has a usecase to
lock down the serial port depending on a configuration value. By commenting
the getty line out in inittab and sending a "kill -HUP -1" it will reload
the inittab config and kill processes that has been removed. Adding getty to
inittab and reloading init works fine but stopping it doesn't. Afterwards I
discovered that getty must be running hidden since I couldn't find it in
top/ps or /proc.

Tested using busybox 1.24.2 and 1.21.x and know that we have seen getty
before as a process in an older version of busybox.

Lars Alex Pedersen