Can Busybox support reproducible build?

Zhongwenlin zhongwenlin at huawei.com
Tue Jul 4 03:59:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

When I build Busybox 1.18.4, I find build results are different every time. It seems to be caused by the code DBB_BT="AUTOCONF_TIMESTAMP"in Makefile.flags, which would put a time stamp into the binary.

And I find the code in the latest version 1.26.2,too.

As we know, reproducible builds is a good way to counter malicious attacks that generate malicious executables, by making it easy to recreate the executable to determine if the result is correct.  How can I eliminate the differences caused by the time stamp? Just remove the code?

Can Busybox support reproducible build now ? or in later versions?

Thank you.