ifplugd shell script not working

Kang-Che Sung explorer09 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:06:34 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:49 PM, Sriram V <vshrirama at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. ifplugd is a command which accepts a shell script as an argument.
> 2. if the link is up/down. It is supposed to invoke the shell script.
> 3. The code does a vfork and exec (2) system call.
> 4. I find that vfork is successful. However exec on a shell script
> (with executable permissions does) not work.
> 5. I get the error code as 2. which is no such file. I have given
> absolute pathname as well.
> 6. Is there a problem on arm system to use exec(2) on a shell script.
>

> # busybox ifplugd -nI
> ifplugd(eth0): started: BusyBox v1.27.0.git (2017-01-31 17:58:49 IST)
> ifplugd(eth0): using SIOCETHTOOL detection mode
> ifplugd(eth0): link is up
> ifplugd(eth0): executing '/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.action eth0 up' (<<<
> This is just a print before calling vfork and exec >>>)
> ifplugd(eth0): exit code: 255

The exit code 255 here could mean _any_ kind of execvp error.
(To be precise, execvp(2) actually returns -1 upon error, which is got
"translated" by ifplugd so that you see exit code 255). It's not limited
to "no such file" case, so how can you be sure it's a "no such file" error?

Also, you said you intend to run a shell script. Have you built a shell in
BusyBox? I would be surprised if you made such a newbie mistake.