busybox udhcp settings/options help

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 30 13:24:13 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:18 PM,  <bch at shroggslodge.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Thank you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.
>
> With respect I have no idea what you are talking about :-)    That is down
> to my lack of knowledge obviously.

These days, getting knowledge is astoundingly easy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrap_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

> I thought the 'boot_file' parameter was the place to identify the [boot]
> file name that a TFTP server would send, once contacted, in the case of PXE
> type network booting.
>
> I was trying to understand what I needed to put in the udhcpd.conf file to
> support pxe booting.  That lead me to noticing that there were the two boot
> file references: the  'boot_file'  and the 'options bootfile' which I did
> not understand why there needed to be two.

I explained why there are two of them. It's historical.
Which one you need to use? I don't know, my telepathic powers
are not good enough to see what vendor/version of PXE client do you have,
and I very probably won't be spending time replicating your environment
here in order to answer the question which you can trivially
investigate with at most 3 tries of different udhcpd.conf's.

> Same observation/question goes for the 'sname' and the 'option tftp'.
>
> Your answer does not seem to relate to those observations, so have I
> understood it wrong as to what they are [both] there for ?

Please read the docs.