BusyBox built-in shell (ash)

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Mon Dec 4 07:21:01 UTC 2017

Am 04.12.2017 um 00:09 schrieb A.W.C.:
> Hi Baruch,
>
> what I want ismanually mount the root file system from busybox rescue
> shell. To make some changes, umount and exit from shell.  Linux v
> 2.6.26.5, rootfstype=squashfs, root filesystem is on mtd4, NAND flash,
> jffs2.
>

> # mount -t proc none /proc
> # mount -t sysfs none /sys
>
> # mount -t devtmpfs devtmpfs /dev
> mount: mounting devtmpfs on /dev failed: No such device

Seems devtmpfs is not supported by your kernel. Use mknod to create the
most basic device nodes (/dev/null, /dev/zero, /dev/mtdblock{,1,2,3,4}
and a few ttys).  But: This is absolutely not busybox related. This is
linux basics.

> # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtd4 /mnt/root
> mount: mounting /dev/mtd4 on /mnt/root failed: No such file or directory

After creating the device node with the proper minor major mount will work.

Yours,
Mattias

> On Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:23 AM, Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il>
> wrote:
>

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 03:17:39PM +0000, A.W.C. wrote:
> > But I already have directories /dev, /proc, /sys, /tmp
> > If I'll make these new dir for TinyCross they will replace existing
> ones?
> >
> > mkdir -p /proc
> > mkdir -p /sys
> > mkdir -p /tmp
> > mkdir -p /var/log
> >
> > Basically, I want mount root partition, its located on /dev/mtd4. In my
> > specific case I need manually mount a few partitions only required
> for this
> > task, correct?
> > Then mount root
> >
> > mount /dev/mtd4 /mnt/root
>
> You must specify the type of the filesystem when mounting raw MTD
> filesystems.
> This is probably jffs2 in your case, though it might also be ubifs. In
> case of
> ubifs you also need to "attach" the ubi volume before you mount it.
>
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > How to exit from busybox shell properly? Command 'exit' produces
> Kernel panic.
>
> This is expected behaviour. The kernel panics when PID 1, your shell,
> exits.
> The common implementation is to exec the rootfs init from the
> initramfs init
>
> script.
>

> baruch
>
> --
> http://baruch.siach.name/blog/                 ~. .~  Tk Open Systems
> =}------------------------------------------------ooO--U--Ooo------------{=
>   - baruch at tkos.co.il <mailto:baruch at tkos.co.il> - tel:
> +972.2.679.5364, http://www.tkos.co.il <http://www.tkos.co.il/>
> -

Mattias Schlenker - Freier IT-Fachredakteur und -autor
redaktion at mattiasschlenker.de

Mattias Schlenker - IT-Consulting, Softwareentwicklung
consulting at mattiasschlenker.de

August-Bebel-Str. 74 - D-04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY
Phone: +49 341 39290767 - Fax: +49 341 25365955
Mobile (primary): +49 163 6953657
Mobile (secondary): +49 163 1848610
VATIN DE240998538

https://github.com/mschlenker