dhcp with /etc/network/interfaces

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Wed Sep 28 12:53:50 UTC 2016

On 9/27/16, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 9:32 PM, David Henderson
> <dhenderson at digital-pipe.com> wrote:
>> On 9/26/16, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You have some sort of problem on your system, but you refuse to provide
>>> strace log of the problematic ifup invocation.
>>>
>>> If you don't want to provide information which can help in diagnosing
>>> the situation, it's fine. But stop nagging me.
>>
>> That's incorrect.  Once it has been installed on the device, I have
>> provided all information returned by strace.  I'm actually not even
>> aware of what you're talking about in this thread.
>
> I was talking about not posting strace log. In other thread,
> you did post it now. That's better.
> (It got linewrapped, making it harder to read. In cases like this
> (text with long lines) please attach it to your email, not paste it
> in the email body).

Got it, sorry about that!

>> I'm following up
>> with this question:
>>
>> So can I perform my own methods via the scripts to prevent BB from
>> attempting its own 'udhcpc' calls?  I don't want duplicate calls to
>> the same DHCP server.
>
> I have hard time finding a good advice "how to use ifup"
> when I personally think that ifup shouldn't be used in the first place.
>
> Your particular problem was, finally, diagnosed to a broken script
> in /etc/network/if-up.d/
> With fixed script, the "usual" dhcp config for ifup may work.

Ok, I understand.  So do you recommend using something like ifplugd?
I'm just interested in typical eth0/wlan0 type networking - no pppd or
vpn.

Also, what I didn't quite grasp was that the article you referenced
made mention of using one script to 'keep things in order'.  As I
mentioned, I'm not really a big fan of monolithic approaches and
wanted to use something more modular.  In this case, I would create
small scripts in the /etc/network/if-*.d directories for things like
creating the /etc/resolv.conf file.  What would be an advantage of the
single script over the smaller scripts?  So,  for example, does your
single script not even bother with using the if-*.d directories and
just reside in /etc/network?

Thanks,
Dave