ifup dependency

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Mon Sep 26 15:14:56 UTC 2016

On 9/26/16, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>  > On 17 September 2016 08:07:01 CEST, Peter Korsgaard
>> <peter at korsgaard.com> wrote:
>>  >>>>>>> "David" == David Henderson <dhenderson at digital-pipe.com> writes:
>>  >>
>>  >> > Hey Peter, thanks for the reply.  I was more or less referring to
>>  >> > should the 'menuconfig' portion of BB automatically add that in as
>>  >> > dependency if ifup/down has been selected, and not should I add
>> this
>>  >> > applet into my BB compile.  I was just letting the community know
>>  >> > about the "problem".
>>  >>
>>  >> Yes indeed, I think CONFIG_IFUPDOWN should select CONFIG_RUN_PARTS.
>>
>>  > No it should not. It's perfectly fine to use another run-parts. The
>>  > help-text should mention that any run-parts has to be installed
>>  > though.
>>
>> True.
>
> It's already in the help since about 2003:
>
> config IFUPDOWN
>         bool "ifupdown"
>         default y
>         help
>           Activate or deactivate the specified interfaces. This applet
> makes
>           use of either "ifconfig" and "route" or the "ip" command to
> actually
>           configure network interfaces. Therefore, you will probably also
> want
>           to enable either IFCONFIG and ROUTE, or enable
>           FEATURE_IFUPDOWN_IP and the various IP options.
>           Of course you could use non-busybox versions of these programs,
> so
>           against my better judgement (since this will surely result in
> plenty
>           of support questions on the mailing list), I do not force you to
>           enable these additional options. It is up to you to supply either
>           "ifconfig", "route" and "run-parts" or the "ip" command, either
>           via busybox or via standalone utilities.
>

> It's possible to add that sometimes udhcpc, bootpc, pon, poff,
> start-stop-daemon, wvdial, and run-parts can be used,
> but the list gets somewhat unwieldy.

This re-affirms my suggestion about some type of a popup.  People
typically look at the help for info on what a particular applet may
do, not what its requirements are.  It would be better to have a popup
to alert the user that "Hey you either need to enable the BB
supplemental binaries required for this to work, or supply your own -
see the help for details."  Again, I didn't look at the help because I
knew what the commands did.

Dave