dhcp with /etc/network/interfaces

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Fri Sep 16 15:55:53 UTC 2016

Good afternoon all!  I was interested in knowing if I specify an
interface to use dhcp in the /etc/network/interfaces file, what binary
and parameters are used by busybox to achieve this:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Talking with Isaac in the previous thread, he made mention of the
scripts that are run in the /etc/network/if-{,pre-,post-}{up,down}.d/
directories.  Can/should I specify a script in the proper directory to
execute the udhcpc binary (or another binary for that matter) with my
own parameters for the interface without BB trying to use its own
methods of obtaining an IP address automatically - effectively
preventing the duplication of requests to the DHCP server for that
interface?

Thanks,
Dave