BusyBox for OSX

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Mon Sep 5 07:34:45 UTC 2016

Both apostrophes (') and double-quotes (") will work fine on OS X,
specifically the ASCII versions (' = 0x27, " = 0x22).

The problem is that the OP was using what are commonly referred to as
"smart quotes" (a hilariously ironic name), or sometimes "curly quotes".
These are Unicode characters, not part of the original ASCII set.  They
come in both single-quote and double-quote forms, and visually look very
similar to classic ASCII, but sometimes are "rounded" or "curved" (as is
preferred in typography).  They are sometimes hard to see in Email as
well, depending on what kind of Email client you use (due to character
set conversions -- not everyone uses UTF-8).

OS X is notorious for this sort of thing, often further compounded by
blogs and websites that automatically use "smart quotes".  Another common
place they're seen is in Google Docs, which uses "smart quotes" by
default, causing fantastically annoying problems when used for
technical documentation that contain shell commands.  (You can toggle
this annoyance in Google Docs via Tools -> Preferences -> Use smart
quotes, on a per-document basis).

For further enjoyment, Google "Ruby smart quotes" for examples of how
these cause problems in a least one programming language.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |