busybox 1.25 ntpd retry initial DNS resolution (forever, no timeout for now).

KP.Kirchdoerfer kapeka at bering-uclibc.de
Tue Jun 28 18:19:29 UTC 2016

Hi;

I'm testing busybox 1.25 and wonder how to deal with the commit

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/networking?id=e4caf1dd9ce8569371a0eeb77ccf02a572dc0f11

At the first look it seems to be an obvious improvement, but then I'm afraid it
may generate a hard to resolve problem.

I start ntpd by default from /etc/init.d

There might be no working network connection (not configured properly for
whatever reason, hardware problems, whatelse).

With busybox 1.24 ntpd fails to start and the boot process continues up to a
shell login  - allowing me to configure, start diagnostics and resolve errors.

With busybox 1.25 ntpd seems to loop forever if now NTP servers are found,
blocking the boot process  and I never get a login to solve a possible pb or
to do a first time configuration.

Any hints how this can be solved?

kp