cp -va is not verbose when copying symlinks

Tony Kelman tony at kelman.net
Mon Jun 6 15:31:28 UTC 2016

When I run the following with GNU coreutils (8.21 on Ubuntu 14.04 to
be specific) I get this output:

tkelman at nanosoldier4:/tmp$ touch afile
tkelman at nanosoldier4:/tmp$ ln -s afile alink
tkelman at nanosoldier4:/tmp$ export LC_ALL=C # ubuntu defaults to unicode
quotes otherwise
tkelman at nanosoldier4:/tmp$ cp -va afile bfile
'afile' -> 'bfile'
tkelman at nanosoldier4:/tmp$ cp -va alink blink
'alink' -> 'blink'

However with busybox (v1.24.2 in a docker container of Alpine Linux,
which as far as I can tell is built with ENABLE_FEATURE_CP_LONG_OPTIONS)
I get the expected output from cp -va on files, but not symbolic links:

/tmp # touch afile
/tmp # ln -s afile alink
/tmp # cp -va afile bfile
'afile' -> 'bfile'
/tmp # cp -va alink blink
/tmp # busybox --help
BusyBox v1.24.2 (2016-05-31 09:35:34 GMT) multi-call binary.
BusyBox is copyrighted by many authors between 1998-2015.
Licensed under GPLv2. See source distribution for detailed
copyright notices.

Is this a bug? Should the symbolic link code paths of cp be honoring
FILEUTILS_VERBOSE?

Thanks,
Tony