RFE: logread.c

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Mon Jan 4 20:52:01 UTC 2016

Hello.

I have recently upgraded the firmware in a few of my routers to OpenWRT,
which uses busybox.

I have noticed that there is no way to have it send log entries using a
specific Facility, as is specified in RFC:s 3164/5424.

I have a lot of networked stuff in my home and I try to have them send
logs to my Solaris server and placed in separate files, and I use the
Facility codes to have the standard Solaris syslogd do that for me.

For some reason it seems that older equipment was much better at
supporting this than recent gadgets, and I assume it is due to the
implementation in busybox, which is used a lot these days.

I have no development platform setup, and I'm not using linux other than
in the gadgets I have.

Is this something that you could be implemented?

I suspect it would be a fairly simple fix.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Real life:   Thomas Törnblom             Email:    thomas at hax.se
Snail mail:  Banvallsvägen 14            Phone:    +46 18 32 31 18
              S - 754 40 Uppsala, Sweden  Mobile:   +46 76 209 8320