Create RAM disk downloaded via TFTP

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Mon Dec 19 06:02:26 UTC 2016

Hi Zvi,

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 03:18:58AM +0000, Vered Zvi wrote:
> I created a root file system with busybox.
>
> Currently I have a tree with the following folders: bin sbin boot tmp sys proc ....
>
> My target (ARM-V7, NXP's LS1021A) was booted OK with this tree over NFS.
>
> Now I have to convert this tree into RAM disk.
>
> The goal is to download the following files via TFTP:
> kernel image
> gzipped file system
> device tree
>
> and then use u-boot's bootm to boot the target.
>
> Can you tell how to create the gzipped file system ?

This is somewhat off topic for this list.

You may use Buildroot to generate an initramfs image of your filesystem. You
may optionally compress the initramfs using gzib, xz, etc.

Alternatively, you may generate a (compressed) initramfs directly as the
kernel Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt document
describes.

baruch

   - baruch at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -