# CONFIG_BUSYBOX is not set: breakage on master

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 28 23:06:02 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn
<cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com> wrote:
>> This thing is meant for people who are in real squeeze and don't want
>> any more functionality than they absolutely must have.
>>
>> If they configured 20 applets they need and they prepare their filesystem
>> so that the /bin/foo -> /bin/busybox links are created by means
>> other than busybox --install, they don't need the code which says this:
>>
>> BusyBox is copyrighted by many authors between 1998-2015.
>> Licensed under GPLv2. See source distribution for detailed
>> copyright notices.
>>
>> Usage: busybox [function [arguments]...]
>>    or: busybox --list[-full]
>>    or: busybox --install [-s] [DIR]
>>    or: function [arguments]...
>>
>>     BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
>>     utilities into a single executable.  Most people will create a
>>     link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
>>     will act like whatever it was invoked as.
>>
>> It's just useless bloat for them. Now they can switch it off.
>
> Got it, thanks.
>
> But it's not only that text that's removed.  The "Currently defined
> functions:" list is also gone, as well as the one-applet-per-line
> list.  I do understand those might be considered bloat too,

Yes, it is intended too. BTW, it _almost_ allows to get rid
of the list of applets! The only reason it remains there
is because we do need to translate applet name to <applet>_main().
There are a few ideas how to avoid that, but they are scary :)

> but that was not intuitive for me.

Propose a change to the help text of this option which would
make it clearer.