httpd - zomie threads

INFO @ itPenguin GmbH info at itpenguin.de
Tue Sep 1 16:41:50 UTC 2015

Hi,
I'm running httpd from busybox 1.23.2.
We are sending very low traffic to the daemon, approx. 1 to 2 telegrams per
second.

After short time the daemon does not answer any more. If we view the process
table with htop, we find, that a lot of httpd threads are running.
After a while the number of threads decreases, but often more than one thread
stays running. Sometimes httpd works fine, mostly it doesn't, when more than on
thread is running.
Why do these threads not finish? What can I do to prevent them from beeing
started?

BTW:
Is there any chance to trace httpd? I inserted printf(), bb_error_msg(),
fprintf(sdterr,...) but I never managed to see any httpd output. DEBUG=1 at the
beginnig of httpd.c.