How to use "read" in Busybox v1.1.1 ?

Joshua Judson Rosen jrosen at harvestai.com
Fri May 15 04:17:55 UTC 2015

On 05/14/2015 11:58 PM, Michael Conrad wrote:
> If you want the widest compatibility with shells, simply say "read
> REPLY", and/or actually require the value you read to be "yes" or "y"
> before continuing, which is what most people do.
>
> Also, I like to use "set -e" so that any command which fails will
> exit the shell. The shell's default of continuing after failed
> commands is the dangerous part.
>
> That said, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to add $REPLY support to
> busybox sh if it can be written in a few bytes, which I suspect it
> can.

It's already done upstream--it looks like Denys released this in 1.11.0:

commit 9cd4c76b50b8fde9e21943bcd520168fa9d57290
Author: Denis Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
Date:   Wed Jun 18 19:22:19 2008 +0000

    ash: fix "shift BIGNUM" and "read with no variable name" bugs.
     omg. hush testsuite helps to find bugs in ash! what next?

    function                                             old     new   delta
    static.arg_REPLY                                       -       8      +8
    readcmd                                             1023    1021      -2
    shiftcmd                                             129     125      -4