RFD: Rework/extending functionality of mdev

Natanael Copa ncopa at alpinelinux.org
Mon Mar 16 20:30:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:45:26 +0100
Harald Becker <ralda at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 16.03.2015 09:19, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > I am only aware of reading kernel events from netlink or kernel hotplug
> > helper.
>
> Where as I'm trying to create a modular system, which allows *you* to
> setup a netlink usage, *the next* to setup hotplug helper usage (still
> with speed improvement, not old behavior), and ...
>
> > What is this new, third plug mechanism? I think that is the piece I am
> > missing to understand why fifo manager approach would be superior.
>
> ... the *ability* to setup a system, with a different plug mechanism,
> not yet mentioned, using same modular system. Just putting together the
> functional blocks, the system maintainer decides.

Does this not yet mentioned plug mechanism exist?

> Think of, for simplicity, about doing the event gathering from sys file
> system with some shell script code, then forward the device event
> message to rest of system. Looks ugly?

Looks ugly, yes.

> What about older or small systems without hotplug feature?

Does it exist systems that are so old that they lack hotplug - but at
same time are new enough to have sysfs?

I suppose it would make sense for kernels without CONFIG_HOTPLUG but I
would expect such systems use highly customized/specialized tools
rather than general purpose tools.

> My intention is *not* to *solve your needs*, it is to give *you* the
> *tools to build* the system with *your intended functionality*, by
> putting together some commands or command parameters, without writing
> code (programs). At the only expense of some (possibly) dead code in the
> binary. Where dead code means, dead for you, but be used by others who
> want to setup there system in a different way (build your own BB version
> and opt out, if you dislike).

We have different goals so I will likely not use your tools. I want a
tool for hotplug that avoids dead code.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for describing it with few words. I
think I finally got it.

-nc